Map updated as of 9/24/2019.
In 2013, NCCER and its Build Your Future initiative began celebrating October as Careers in Construction Month. Each October, we have rallied support across the country to raise awareness about the skills gap and the vast opportunities in the construction industry.
States with official proclamations have declared October as a month to highlight the skilled men and women who build America and inspire the youth of today to choose a rewarding career in construction.
Each year, the celebration has gotten bigger and better. As we get ready for October, 18 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands have received official proclamations so far. Additionally, 21 states and Washington, D.C. have filed proclamations and are awaiting approval. We are hoping that this will be the biggest construction celebration thus far!
Has your state been left out of the celebration? Check out our Proclamation Guide and other resources on byf.org to file your proclamation today! Email us your file request or official proclamation to make sure you get on the map. With your help, we can make the celebration nationwide!
Regardless of the proclamation status of your state, there is so much you can do to help celebrate and promote careers in construction. Each October, schools, contractors and organizations are encouraged to partner locally and host events or activities that introduce students and adults to the benefits of a career in construction.
Need help celebrating and making these connections? We’ve got your back! Below are the resources available to make the most of this celebration.
• Go social. Join the #CICM conversation online and help spread awareness! This year, we have a Social Media Kit complete with strategies, key messaging and sample copy. Additionally, we have graphics available on our resource page with an easy download link for all of our social media graphics. We have made it easier than ever to utilize social media and promote all the benefits of a career in construction.
• Find connections. This month is all about awareness and education. In order to successfully promote the industry, meaningful connections need to be made between industry and education. Use NCCER’s Connection Map to find schools, educators, contractors and organizations who are looking to connect!
• Plan an event. Want to plan an event centered around the construction industry? Use our Careers in Construction Month Handbook to help plan your event. Inside find ideas on how to develop a plan, what activities to spotlight and how to promote it to different mediums.
• Promote your event. We want to help you celebrate your event! Register your event at byf.org for a shout out. Join the conversation on social media by tagging us and using #CICM in your posts!
• Talk to students. Industry professionals can connect with schools in their local district and talk about the opportunities that exist in construction. With our Industry Recruitment PowerPoint, complete with videos, images and talking points, giving an unforgettable presentation is simple. With minor adjustments to the PowerPoint, you can easily promote your company or organization and recruit some young talent.
• Plan some activities. Whether you are hosting an event, visiting a class or if you are a teacher that wants to incorporate the celebration into your curriculum, we have a variety of activities to help. In addition to our activities, you can utilize our craft trading cards and let students explore all the different opportunities a career in construction can provide.
• Get competitive. I Built This! is a construction video competition that challenges CTE students, trainees and instructors to show off their skills and gain attention for school programs. Want to show off your program and construction skills? Learn more and enter the competition!
This post was originally shared October 6, 2016 here and has been updated with current information.