Published by Construction Industry Institute, 2003
The research team that created the report Addressing the Shortage of Skilled Craft Workers in the U.S. also developed this Tier 1 strategy to address the workforce shortage. The Tier I strategy is a way to increase productivity and more effectively utilize and manage the workforce on a project to produce almost immediate measurable benefits. It is not a revolutionary strategy in itself, but the concepts and elements of the strategy serve as building blocks for more complex and extensive structured workforce development programs in the construction industry.
- Supervisors require additional training and skills updating, both of which are key components of the strategy.
- The goal is to maximize the effectiveness of these supervisors and thus produce higher levels of productivity without a highly skilled technical workforce.
- Currently, very little training is being given to the supervisors and even less training is available to journey-level craft workers.
- Currently there are very few structured workforce management programs in the construction industry.
- There is a need for a structured workforce management strategy that can be used to effectively manage a workforce regardless of its skill level.
To purchase this study, click here.