Subject Matter Experts
Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) are vital to NCCER’s mission. These industry experts assist NCCER in development and review of curriculum, knowledge and hands-on test measurement tools, programs and resources.
Ways To Get Involved
SMEs are the heart of our organization, and we have multiple ways for you to get involved.
- Curriculum Development and Review
- Translation Review
- Video Talent
- Test Question Development and Review
- Instructor Resource Development
- Hands-on Performance Task Development and Review
Why Become a SME?
Check out this video to hear current SMEs talk about what being a subject matter expert means to them, and how their service helps develop the construction industry workforce.
My favorite part about serving as a SME is the interaction amongst the folks from around the country. These are great networking opportunities because you can learn from people from both industry and education and see how people do things in different parts of the country.”
A perk of being a NCCER SME is the recognition – it’s great to be valued in the industry as a SME!”
Being a SME has given me exposure to the training that is being provided to apprentice plumbers across the country. I get to learn from other SMEs and add in my thoughts to help with challenges experienced in different regions. It’s all very beneficial to me.”
The best thing about being a SME is that is gives me the opportunity to share my 32 years of craft experience with the world through NCCER’s curriculum.”
SME committees ensure our curriculum and credentialing tools are relevant to on-the-job craft skills. We recruit passionate craft professionals who commit to the following:
- Attendance: Consistently attend scheduled meetings and maintain communication.
- Participation: Contribute, offer feedback and recommend innovative ideas for learning enhancement during meetings.
- Schedule: Commit to meeting deadlines to keep projects on schedule.
If you have questions, please contact NCCER's Outreach & Engagement team at (888) 622-3720.